Most children use smartphones and tablets throughout the day. Instead of studying or doing house duties, they often play and chat online, send messages and get notifications. In this article, we cover the best Android parental control apps for limiting smartphone or tablet usage time and monitoring the content your children watch. We hope you can pick out the best parental control app for you from our app review.
Google Family Link
- The main features: tracking a child’s location, limiting the time of smartphone use, locking the device at a distance, filtering the content being viewed.
- Pricing: free.
- Android version required: 4.4.
- Installation space required: 50 Mb.
- RAM usage: 166 Mb.
- Application version: 1.87.0.P.420315286.
- Latest update: January 26, 2022.
Google Family Link is an app with parental control features. It allows you to set certain rules for your child’s phone or tablet usage and limit access to unwanted content.
To use Google Family Link, you need to link one or more devices to yours via your Google account. All devices must have Google services running.
Key features of the Google Family Link app
- Tracking applications your children use.
- Get daily, weekly or monthly reports with a list of the most frequently run applications, as well as the amount of time spent in each application.
- Manage apps. Get permission to make purchases from apps and install new apps.
- Block apps. Remotely lock the apps installed on your child’s device.
- Set up usage time. Set a time limit for using your child’s phone during the day.
- Lock your device. Remotely lock your child’s device when your child is sleeping or studying.
- Location tracking. Define your device’s current location on a map, as long as the Internet and navigation in your mobile device are turned on.
- Content blocking. Set a ban for visiting certain resources in the browser.
Main advantages of the Google Family Link app
- Free and ad-free.
- No additional charges.
- Set the time of use of your mobile device during the day.
- Remotely lock your device while you study or sleep.
- Location tracking.
- Block unwanted in-app purchases or new app installation for your child.
- Receiving reports of your child’s app usage.
Main disadvantages of the Google Family Link app
- There are occasional glitches in the program.
- To use Google Family Link, you need to have a Google account and running Google services.
Google Family Link is the easiest and most affordable way to limit your child’s phone use during the day, locate the android devices, lock it remotely, and get app usage statistics. The app is free. You do not need to buy additional modules or subscribe. However, the application requires Google services on the device and Google accounts for parent and child. This is definitely one of the best parental control apps out there.
ESET Parental Control
- The main features: location search, last known location information, activity tracking, alert zone setting.
- Pricing: 2.06 USD per month, 21 USD per year. 30-day free trial access.
- Android version required: 5.0.
- Installation space required: 28 Mb.
- RAM usage: 149 Mb.
- Application version: 220.127.116.11.
- Latest update: November 26, 2021.
ESET Parental Control lets you set certain rules for your child’s use of a smartphone or tablet, as well as control what he does with the device. You can set optimal reporting options, so you know how your children are using their mobile device. Detailed statistics are also available in the app installed on your child’s device.
To use ESET Parental Control, you must link one or more devices to a parent account. During setup, you can create an ESET account or sign in if you already have an account. ESET is a fairly popular parental control app.
Key features of ESET Parental Control
- Location tracking. View the current location of the device on the map.
- Control the use of apps. View the apps your child uses and selectively limit access to installed apps. You can set a time limit on the use of a particular application during the day.
- Set the time of use. Set total time you use your mobile device during the day.
- Control of viewed content. Informing about the sites your child is browsing and the possibility to limit access to certain sites.
- Vacation mode. Deactivate app usage restriction for a certain day and time: for weekends, holidays or vacations.
- Warning zone. Creation of places with notification when a child visits or leaves the marked area: home, school, acquaintances and relatives, etc.
In ESET Parental Control, you can set a password to log in to the app so that your child cannot disable certain functions. It is also possible to prevent your child from accessing the settings and disabling certain functions, such as the Internet or navigation.
To use ESET Parental Control, you must subscribe for 2.06 USD per month or 21 USD per year. To familiarize yourself with the features of the program, the developers provide a month of free use for all new users.
Main advantages of ESET Parental Control
- Tracking the location of your mobile device.
- Control of visited resources and used applications.
- Setting the daily limit of mobile device usage.
- Vacation mode to temporarily disable the daily limit of mobile device usage.
- Setting the alert zone and informing when the child came home or left the school.
- Detailed statistics.
- Setting a password on the app and restricting access to the device settings.
Main disadvantages of ESET Parental Control
- A subscription is required for full use.
ESET Parental Control contains useful features to control and limit your child’s activity in devices. In particular, you can set a daily time limit for a mobile device using or activate vacation mode to temporarily remove restrictions. The “warning zone” feature allows you to know exactly when your child leaves home to go to school and comes back. At the same time, you need to subscribe to the app to get all features. To evaluate its features, the developers offer a free 30-day trial. This is quiet good parental control app.
- The main features: setting the daily limit of app usage, disabling notifications for a specified time interval, app usage statistics, setting the rest.
- Pricing: free.
- Android version required: 9.0.
- Installation space required: 15 Mb.
- RAM usage: no information.
- Application version: 1.0.410515141 (329097)
- Latest update: December 9, 2021.
As with most parental control apps, Digital Wellbeing enables you to monitor and limit user activity in particular applications. The app is pre-installed in most smartphones and tablets with Android version 9 or higher.
This parental control app does not require an account to be tied to it. It works independently and does not need to be managed remotely. You may need functioning Google services for full functionality.
Key features of Digital Wellbeing
- Setting the timer. Set a daily limit on the use of a particular application.
- Concentration. Disable notifications for certain apps for the duration of the set schedule.
- Rest setting. Remind to go to bed by changing the picture from color to black and white.
- Usage statistics. View the time spent in the application for a particular day, as well as the number of screen unlocks for the day.
Main advantages of Digital Wellbeing
- Setting a daily usage limit for the app.
- Disable distracting alerts.
- Bedtime reminder.
- Statistics on the number of screen unlocks per day and time spent in applications.
Main disadvantages of Digital Wellbeing
- No remote control.
- Unavailable restriction to certain resources and applications.
- Google services may be required for the app to work fully.
- It is necessary to lock the app to prevent your child from disabling the restrictions set.
Digital Wellbeing enables you to determine a daily limit on app usage, disable app alerts for a certain interval, set up a reminder to go to bed. This parental control app does not set strict limits on device usage and helps you evenly distribute time for entertainment and work during the day. The program works autonomously and does not need remote control, you only need to choose its settings once. At the same time, it is important to configure the app lock, as with free access all restrictions are easily disabled.
This article contains the best android parental control apps. The presented apps will allow you to limit the daily screen time on your child’s devices, as well as help you control the content they watch. Still, don’t forget to communicate with your child and explain how to use your mobile device correctly, teach them digital security and privacy protection.
What android parental control app do you use? Share your opinions in the comments.