All Android devices allow users to lock the home screen to prevent other people from accessing their personal information. Intruders might be interested in everything, starting from the contact list and ending with financial data stored in bank applications. Moreover, it is safer to use the device with at least one layer of protection.
There are multiple ways to utilize data from a smartphone, including identity theft. The good news is that it can be prevented by delving briefly into the device settings. Let’s find out how to set up a lock screen on an Android phone.
Typically, one can customize the lock screen in the Security menu located under the global settings. However, the name and location of this menu item can vary depending on both the Android version and smartphone manufacturer. Should you fail to find it, feel free to contact your device Support team.
Every user can choose one of three protective layers under the Security tab:
- The pattern on a grid of nine dots can be made as complex as you want. Keep in mind that simple one can be easily overlooked, whereas the long one can complicate access for the owner.
- PIN code made of 4-16 numbers.
- Regular password – the safest method of all. However, it can take a while to turn the device on even if you only wish to check social network profile updates.
All of them serve the same function – protection from unauthorized access every time someone is trying to get to the home screen. If anyone enters wrong password, pattern, or PIN five times, the smartphone will offer to erase all the data or try again.
How to set it up?
Here are the steps to undertake in order to protect the device:
- Tap on the Settings icon that you can find on the home screen. Alternatively, swipe down while on the home screen and look for the gear icon.
- Under the Security menu, choose Screen lock to see the list of available options. In case you have already set one of them, Android will ask to enter the existing password, pattern, or PIN to modify the settings.
- Choose the desired protection method from the list. “None” means the home screen is not guarded by anything. “Swipe” means that you will have to swipe from the bottom of the phone screen with the finger to unlock.
- Input the code or pattern two times.
Make sure to remember the password. Otherwise, you might be locked out from your device.
Alternative security options
There are more sophisticated methods one can utilize should your smartphone manufacturer offer them:
- face recognition,
- fingerprint – fast but less secure method to unlock your device according to Google,
- eye iris scan.
The face unlock feature is new to Android devices. It was officially released for Google Pixel 4 users only. For security reasons it now requires to keep the eyes open to make sure no one unlocks the device until its owner sleeps. It is also reported that familiar-looking strangers can access the home screen.
Should anyone willing to have this feature, there are apps that allow you to unlock the phone using the front-facing camera. The security level is questionable, though, since the camera cannot tell the difference between the picture and actual human being.
First, even a phone with a fingerprint scanner installed was released in 2004. Technology became so popular that it is nowadays implemented even in budget devices. It allows access to the smartphone instantly by pressing the finger to a scanner located on the screen or more often on the rear panel of the device. One can turn the option on in the Security menu. To activate it, users will need to record the finger “image” by pressing it to the scanner multiple times.
Unlike cameras, eye iris infrared scanners do not require any light sources. To unlock the phone, one has to look to the screen directly. This means that you will have to lift the device close enough to the eyes level every time – it can be difficult and even dangerous while driving. Additionally, glasses or lenses can sufficiently deteriorate recognition.
There are multiple applications and launchers available to set up custom screen lock protection. To unlock, it might be necessary to solve puzzles, riddles, or answer questions. Most of them allow using passwords, PIN codes, and patterns.
It is vital to protect the phone so that sensitive personal data is accessed by its owner only. There are multiple ways to make it happen in an Android device. Even though new technical features appear, the password still remains the safest and easiest of protection methods available.
Here we’ve described how to lock screen android. The simplest method to lock the phone is to use the Security menu. However, you can use alternative ways. You can also change or edit the android lock screen in your phone settings.