A brand-new smartphone is shiny and beautiful. There is only one solution to keep it this way for a long time: use a phone case. This way, you will have no scratches on the finish. It will then be easy to trade it in at a profit when you get bored with it. After all, the solution allows using the phone with a transparent cover or no case long after the purchase.
However, all the wounds will remain on plastic, metal, rubber, or silicone surface. They can be hard to remove; besides, the process will take a while. Keep in mind that, most probably, the scratches will never disappear entirely. However, if you decided to give it a try, there are several means to offer. Let’s have a look at them.
How to remove scratches from a clear phone case?
If the cover is made of plastic, it is relatively easy to make it nice-looking again. You will need:
- toothpaste or baking soda,
- plastic polish,
- soft cloth and some water.
If the scratch is not particularly deep, you should:
- Remove the case and put the phone aside.
- Wash it with soap to get rid of all the dirt.
- Take a soft cotton cloth and damp it with water.
- If you go with toothpaste, apply a little to the cloth. Alternatively, take a spoonful of soda and mix it with water to make a paste.
- Gently rub the scratched part of the cover. It is better to move in circles; otherwise, you might go too far in some areas, making it look not good.
- Rinse the cover with water, and let it dry.
- Use polish to go over the entire case to finish the things up.
Mild abrasives such as soda or toothpaste should help you get rid of small scratches. There is a remedy for the deep ones; we will look at it in a moment.
How to remove scratches from metal phone case?
Rubbing the surface with different sandpaper is the easiest way to sort a metal surface out. Do the following:
- buy several grades of paper (800, 1000 and 1200 should work fine),
- damp the first one with some water,
- gently move in circles, precisely as you would do to fix moderate plastic scratches,
- take the next grit size of paper and do the same,
- finish off with the finest one and rinse the cover,
- use polish to work on the entire surface.
You can take even finer sandpaper as well to achieve better results. After the cover dries off at room temperature, it should be good to protect your phone again. Feel free to use this method to work on deep plastic scratches.
How to remove scratches from a rubber phone case?
It is very hard to deal with rubber surfaces – most probably, the marks will never go away entirely. However, it is worth trying plastic polish or Mother’s Back to Black restorer instead of toothpaste to make them look better. Alternatively, use any furniture polish – it should work as well.
The cover purpose is to protect the smartphone from scratches. If there are wounds on it – it has done its job well. Typically, most plastic, rubber, or silicone covers are not very dear. The simplest way is to properly recycle the bad ones and order new products, since (most probably) it will be tough and time-consuming to restore their factory look.
How do you clean and polish old plastic?
Wash the coating and remove dirt and debris. Use less abrasive sandpaper to remove a thin layer. If deep scratches need to be removed, then use a high abrasive sandpaper first and then a low abrasive sandpaper for polishing.
What is the best plastic polish?
Sanding paper with low abrasivity.
Does toothpaste remove scratches from plastic?
Not usually. In some cases, toothpaste can make the coating worse.
How do you make plastic clear again?
Wash, clean with an eraser. As a last resort, polish.
Does WD 40 remove scratches from plastic?
No, it doesn’t. This product is not designed to remove scratches.
Here we have described in detail how to remove scratches from different phone case types. It is hard to remove deep scratches, but you can make looking your phone case better if you try to do it.