Owners of iPhones, as well as other users of mobile electronic devices, eventually have to replace the old device with a new one. Regardless of the reason if the device is broken or outdated, there is a need to transfer data from the iPhone to the iPhone. Therefore, in this article, we will look at the available methods for transferring information that match your capabilities.
Ways to transfer data from iPhone
The owner of the iPhone has three methods of moving information:
- iCloud cloud service.
- Desktop synchronization programs.
- Desktop recovery programs.
The iCloud service is based on syncing with proprietary cloud storage. This method allows you to easily and quickly copy the main file types, with a minimum of effort. The convenience lies in the non-availability of a wired connection to the computer. In this case, the old and new device should be connected to a Wi-Fi point, with unlimited traffic, if you need to transfer a significant amount of data. It is also worth noting that the free storage capacity is 5 GB. If there is more information, some of the data will have to be transferred in other ways, or you will have to buy additional space.
Desktop programs for data synchronization are useful when there is no Wi-Fi point with unlimited traffic, or when you need to copy a large amount of information. To copy the information, you should use the official iTunes client or third-party analogues: iFunBox, iTools, DiskAid, CopyTrans or iExplorer. The principle of operation of the listed programs is the same. The differences lie in the interface and ease of navigation, as well as in the distribution model – paid or free.
Desktop programs for data recovery also allow you to make a copy of the available information – to a computer or to a new device. At the same time, such programs are indispensable if you need to restore or urgently extract data from a damaged iPhone.
How to transfer data using iCloud
Important! First of all, move the SIM card from the old device to the new phone. If the machine is configured, perform data cleanup. You also need to have an AppleID account.
1. Connect your old phone to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Open settings, and then select iCloud. For system versions 10.2 and below, then you need to open the Backup item next.
3. Enable the copy data option. Next, tap the Create a Backup Line.
4. Wait until the copy process is complete.
5. Turn on the new iPhone. Follow the instructions until the Wi-Fi section appears.
6. Connect your device to a wireless Internet point. After you are prompted for the Programs and Data, select the Restore from iCloud Copy item.
7. Log in to the service.
8. When prompted, select an existing copy of the data.
9. Wait until the process completes.
How to transfer data using iTunes
1. Connect the old device to your computer using a USB-Lightning cable or wireless.
2. Download and install the latest version of iTunes. If the utility is installed, check for updates. The actions are necessary for the program to correctly recognize the phone.
3. Among the connected devices, select your iPhone.
4. When saving data from the Health and Activity programs, in the overview tab, select the check box next to the Encrypt Backup item.
5. If you do not need the data of Health and Activity programs, then do not check the encryption option. Just tap the Create a Copy Now button.
6. When you finish saving the backup, go to iTunes Settings, and then to Devices. Check whether there is a closed lock icon next to the connected device, as well as the backup creation date. If the information is available, then the backup is saved.
7. Connect the new device and mark the device as the primary device.
8. Select Restore from Copy, where you specify the backup.
9. Wait until the end of the procedure, and then turn off the phone, if additional actions are not required.
Transferring data from iPhone to iPhone using Finder
In the latest versions of the operating system, Catalina for example, all data from one iPhone can be transferred to another using backups and synchronisation with iCloud.
- Connect your first iPhone to your Mac via Wi-Fi or USB-Lightning
- Find the device in Finder in the list of hard drives
- Next, you can select exactly what information you want to transfer – scroll through the tabs and select the checkboxes to select the information you want to transfer
4. Then go back to the first ‘General’ tab and back up
5. Connect a second phone to this Apple account and restore the backup on that phone
Transferring data using the Ultdata app
- Download and install the program from the official website.
- Connect the iPhone using the sync cable and wait until the program detects the connected device.
- Next, tap the Restore from the iOS device button. Check the boxes next to the items with the data that you want to save. Then tap the Start scanning button.
- The program will display the available data, where the user needs to mark the files for saving.
- Next, you will be prompted to transfer the files to your computer or to a new device. In the first case, you will need to specify the folder on the PC. In the second case, connect a new phone and follow the instructions of the program.
If you need to transfer data from one iPhone to another, you are a novice user and do not own a computer or do not have a PC, then use the iCloud service. Cloud storage will allow you to transfer the necessary data, if there is free space in the cloud.
There is more information on the phone than the cloud can hold, and you don’t want to buy additional space? Missing Apple ID? Then use the iTunes program or an analogue with a suitable interface.
As a convenient alternative to iTunes, recovery programs are also suitable. Such utilities will allow you to extract data from a damaged device. Also choose what information to restore, and not save all the data without exception.
If you still have questions, then in the User Comments section below, you can ask the author a question, leave a comment, or share your experience. We will try to respond.